I suppose I should back up a little. Because, before the multiple coats of primer came multiple coats of epoxy. Encapsulation, you know: coating the wood with 2 or 3 layers of epoxy to water-seal it.
In this case, I've been working on the stem.
I'd roll on a thin layer of System 3 Silvertip epoxy, using a thin foam roller. Once that layer cured, I'd sand it lightly, clean it off, and roll on another coat. Originally, I had planned to just do two coats. However, I went ahead and applied a third layer, just to be thorough.
|Encapsulating the stem with epoxy. Here, you can see where I've also started "pre-fairing" the stem at the bow.|
After the epoxy, came the Aquaguard 190 primer. I'd brush on a layer & let it dry, then flip the piece and brush the other side. Then I'd sand it all lightly, and repeat... slowly leveling the surface. I lost count, but I think I've put 5 coats of primer on it so far.
I may put on a 6th coat, just to get the surface as smooth as possible. Or, I may just leave it. It's only the stem, after all, and no one will see it.
We'll see what the coffee tells me to do tomorrow.